This Attorney is Lead Counsel Verified. Click here for more Information.


Immigration and Nationality Law


Call us for a free initial consultation:

(909) 378-0318

Copyright 2017. Law Office of Carlo Borja. Disclaimer

Carlo Franco L. Borja is a licensed attorney in California and is authorized to represent clients in immigration matters nationwide. Based in Southern California, the immigration law firm serves clients mainly in Los Angeles County, Orange County, San Bernardino County and Riverside County including, but not limited to: Agoura Hills, Alhambra, Arcadia, Artesia, Avalon, Azusa, Baldwin Park, Bell Gardens, Bellflower, Beverly Hills, Burbank, Calabasas, Carson, Cerritos, Claremont, Commerce, Culver City, Diamond Bar, Downey, Duarte, Eagle Rock, El Monte, El Segundo, Gardena, Glendale, Glendora, Hawaiian Gardens, Hawthorne, Huntington Park, Industry, Inglewood, Irwindale, La Habra, La Mirada, La Puente, La Verne, Lakewood, Lancaster, Lawndale, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Lynwood, Malibu, Manhattan Beach, Monrovia, Montebello, Monterey Park, Norwalk, Palmdale, Palos Verdes, Paramount, Pasadena, Pico Rivera, Pomona, Redondo Beach, Rosemead, San Dimas, San Fernando, San Gabriel, San Marino, Santa Clarita, Santa Fe Springs, Santa Monica, Temple City, Torrance, Vernon, Walnut, West Covina, Hollywood, Westlake Village, Whittier, Anaheim, Brea, Buena Park, Costa Mesa, Fullerton, Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Irvine, La Habra, La Palma, Laguna Beach, Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo, Newport Beach, Orange, Santa Ana, Stanton, Tustin, Westminster, Adelanto, Chino, Chino Hills, Colton, Fontana, Hesperia, Highland, Loma Linda, Montclair, Ontario, Rancho Cucamonga, Rialto, San Bernardino, Upland, Victorville, Corona, Eastvale, Hemet, Indio, Lake Elsinore, Menifee, Moreno Valley. Murrieta, Norco, Perris, Palm Springs, Riverside, Temecula and surrounding areas. Filipino Immigration lawyer representing clients in all US states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming. 
Treaty Investor (E2) or Trader (E1)
E2 (Treaty Investor) and E1 Treaty Trader (E1) are nonimmigrant classifications granted to nationals of a country with which the United States maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation in order to invest a substantial amount of capital in a non-marginal U.S. business (E2 Treaty Investor) or to engage in principal and substantial international trade with the U.S. (E1 Treaty Trader).  Certain employees of the treaty investor or treaty trader such as supervisory, executive, or those with highly specialized skills that are essential to the operations of the business may also qualify for E2 or E1 visa or status.
The main requirements to qualify for E2 Treaty Investor classification are: 

  • The applicant must be a national of a treaty country;
  • The investment must be substantial such that it is sufficient to ensure the successful operation of the enterprise;
  • The investment may not be marginal such that it must generate significantly more income than just to provide a living to the investor and family, or it must have a significant economic impact in the U.S.;
  • The investment must be a real operating enterprise;
  • The investor must have control of the funds, and the investment must be at risk in the commercial sense;
  • The investor must be coming to the U.S. to develop and direct the enterprise; and
  • The applicant must intend to depart the United States when the E-2 status terminates.
The main requirements to qualify for E1 Treaty Trader classification are:

  • The applicant must be a national of a treaty country;
  • The international trade must be substantial such that there should be a continuous flow of sizable international trade items, involving numerous transactions over time;
  • The trade must be principally between the U.S. and the treaty country such that over 50% of the total volume of international trade is between the U.S. and the trader’s treaty country (Trade means the international exchange of goods, services, and technology); 
  • The applicant must be employed in a supervisory or executive capacity, or possess highly specialized skills essential to the efficient operation of the firm; and
  • The applicant must intends to depart the United States when the E-1 status terminates.

The E2 or E1 nonimmigrant is granted an initial stay of up to 2 years which may be renewed in 2-year increments. The spouse and unmarried children under 21 of the principal E2 or E1 nonimmigrant may join the latter in the U.S. as E2 or E1 dependents.  The spouse of the principal E2 or E1 nonimmigrant may apply for employment authorization and work anywhere.
If you are an investor or trader who intends to apply for an E2 or E1 visa, feel free to contact the Law Office of Carlo Borja so we assess if you may qualify and assist you throughout the process.