This Attorney is Lead Counsel Verified. Click here for more Information.


Immigration and Nationality Law


Call us for a free initial consultation:

(909) 378-0318

Copyright 2017. Law Office of Carlo Borja. Disclaimer

Carlo Franco L. Borja is a licensed attorney in California and is authorized to represent clients in immigration matters nationwide. Based in Southern California, the immigration law firm serves clients mainly in Los Angeles County, Orange County, San Bernardino County and Riverside County including, but not limited to: Agoura Hills, Alhambra, Arcadia, Artesia, Avalon, Azusa, Baldwin Park, Bell Gardens, Bellflower, Beverly Hills, Burbank, Calabasas, Carson, Cerritos, Claremont, Commerce, Culver City, Diamond Bar, Downey, Duarte, Eagle Rock, El Monte, El Segundo, Gardena, Glendale, Glendora, Hawaiian Gardens, Hawthorne, Huntington Park, Industry, Inglewood, Irwindale, La Habra, La Mirada, La Puente, La Verne, Lakewood, Lancaster, Lawndale, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Lynwood, Malibu, Manhattan Beach, Monrovia, Montebello, Monterey Park, Norwalk, Palmdale, Palos Verdes, Paramount, Pasadena, Pico Rivera, Pomona, Redondo Beach, Rosemead, San Dimas, San Fernando, San Gabriel, San Marino, Santa Clarita, Santa Fe Springs, Santa Monica, Temple City, Torrance, Vernon, Walnut, West Covina, Hollywood, Westlake Village, Whittier, Anaheim, Brea, Buena Park, Costa Mesa, Fullerton, Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Irvine, La Habra, La Palma, Laguna Beach, Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo, Newport Beach, Orange, Santa Ana, Stanton, Tustin, Westminster, Adelanto, Chino, Chino Hills, Colton, Fontana, Hesperia, Highland, Loma Linda, Montclair, Ontario, Rancho Cucamonga, Rialto, San Bernardino, Upland, Victorville, Corona, Eastvale, Hemet, Indio, Lake Elsinore, Menifee, Moreno Valley. Murrieta, Norco, Perris, Palm Springs, Riverside, Temecula and surrounding areas. Filipino Immigration lawyer representing clients in all US states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming. 
Student Visa
Foreign nationals who intend to be full-time students in the U.S. may apply for a student visa which consists of two types, the F1 (for academic students) and the M1 (for vocational students).  The student visa applicant must meet the following requirements in order to qualify:
  • Enrollment as a full-time student in an academic educational program, a language-training program, or a vocational program;
  • The school where the applicant intends to study must be certified by the Student and Exchange Visitors Program (SEVP). Note that the school will issue a Form I-20 to the applicant;
  • Payment of the SEVIS fee;
  • Proficiency in English or be enrolled in courses leading to English proficiency;
  • Must have sufficient funds available for self-support during the entire proposed course of study;
  • Must establish non-immigrant intent.

F-1 students are not allowed to work off-campus during the first academic year, but may be permitted to work on-campus subject to certain conditions and restrictions. After the first academic year, the F-1 student may engage in off-campus employment which is related to the student’s area of study provided the student receives authorization from the school and applies for employment authorization from USCIS. The three types of off-campus employment are:

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT)
  • Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training Extension (OPT)

M-1 students may engage in practical training only after they have completed their studies. 

F1 and M1 students are admitted to the U.S. for duration of status (D/S) which means that they are allowed to remain in the U.S. as long as they are enrolled in their academic or vocational program, plus any periods of authorized practical training and the allowable grace period, which is 60 days for F1 students and 30 days for M1 students. 
The spouse and children under 21 of the principal F1 or M1 student may accompany the latter to the U.S. on F2 or M2 visas, respectively.

If you are a foreign national who intends to study for an academic or vocational program in the U.S., feel free to contact the Law Office of Carlo Borja so we can explain the process further and assist you in your student visa application.